This week our YW and YM groups were in charge of a Special Needs Mutual.
Basically it was our opportunity to put on a fun activity for those in the area who have special needs and just need someone to love them.
For those of you who don't know,
I went to college with the intent of majoring in Elementary Education.
Early in my major, after hearing of a new double major available (ECSE, Early Childhood/ Special Education) I had a strong feeling that I was needed there.
And I never regretted it.
I now look at my degree with pride, knowing that I was changed through that process.
I learned that they didn't need me, but I needed them.
The night of the activity came and I felt nervous.
I wanted my girls to be respectful and kind.
To be a friend and love them for who they were, just as they want to be loved and accepted.
I also wanted them to feel the way I feel about these amazing people who made me more loving, compassionate and kind.
I felt pressure...which I know sounds silly.
The activity began and we were able to meet some of these beautiful men & women, boys &girls.
The disabilities varied. But the happiness was all the same.
The youth sang and signed to us the song titled,
"In This Very Room."
I can't express the Spirit felt, in that very room.
Tears streamed down my face as I remembered once again just how much Heavenly Father loves his children.
Throughout the night I watched my YW change from typical teens, to loving, beautiful, and accepting daughters of God.
After the activity I was able to help one of the ladies walk out.
I asked if she had liked the games, because I was blessed to watch her smile through each one...and cheer as she won a price :)
To this she shook her head and said,
"No....I like you."
So simple. But so important.
How can she love so easily? How can she look past her challenges?
How can she lift me up, when I should be lifting her?
She can, because she Knows God.
This night reminded me to be like each and every one of them.
Non Judgmental.
Confident.
Loving.
Kind.
And to NEVER forget Who we are and Where we came from.
I had that major too! For a while :) I was super indecisive in college..but that one was my favorite. I miss the jobs I had working with special needs children. They are so honest and real and happy. This was written so beautifully :) miss you!
ReplyDeleteYou are beautiful, and your major was the exact right one. There is no one who is in your presence that doesn't feel loved! That is a truly special gift.
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet experience! So glad you and the YW were able to share that. The YW are so lucky to have you as a leader!!
ReplyDeleteVery cool - in high school I was a youth leader at special mutual. Loved every minute of it and I still think of my girls often!
ReplyDelete