Saturday, April 16, 2011

One day at a time....

I am sure a lot of you did not know....but I was recently pregnant and just experienced a miscarriage. As soon as we found out we were pregnant we were ECSTATIC as we started dreaming of our new family of four. I felt a little uneasy about spreading the news so only family and VERY few friends were told.

This week was my 12 week appointment and I almost couldn't sleep at night because I was SOO excited to start sharing our news. But Tuesday night (two days before my appointment) I started bleeding, it wasn't a lot, so after talking to some family and my DR I felt as if maybe everything would still be ok.. that is... until I woke up the next morning with lots of blood and clots. I can't write my feelings at this point. Besides pain, fear, and complete sadness...I felt numb. I had Logan call the Dr and tell them I needed to be fit in for an ultrasound and LUCKILY they were very accommodating and I left work early to go in. After an hour of waiting for the Dr, I felt as if I would faint at the possibility of losing this baby that had been such an miracle. When the ultrasound began I began to dream of all the possibilities that the blood meant no harm to my child. But then I saw it....or more importantly I didn't hear anything.

The Dr. then began to tell me that I was almost 13 weeks but the baby had passed at 10 1/2 weeks. Those words could not have sounded worse to me. In the most simple words I can think of, I completely LOST IT! My dreams began to turn dark and I struggled to listen as the Dr told me that I would probably need a D & C since it was so big.

My mind was RACING....how could this happen? why did I have to go through all the moodiness, sickness, zits and cravings, WITH no baby to look forward to? I just wanted to get out of there as fast as possible. As I walked out the door, I looked down at my belly and saw that my hand was subconsciously rubbing and comforting what used to be my sweet dream. Leaving the office I knew my pain was just beginning. How would I tell my sweet Logan?

The next 24 hours turned out to be the hardest thing WE have ever gone through. We struggled to connect together with the sadness. We struggled to understand why. We struggled at the thought of the future. And we struggled to find the light, that is SO important in our lives.

I went in for a D & C after work that day...and opted to go by myself. Kai's birth was such a miracle, there were happy tears, cheers and a sweet baby to hold. But I knew this was VERY different and I did not want Logan to remember the things I knew we would see that day. With lots of prayers coming our way, I know I was blessed through the surgery and now through the recovery. I am so thankful for Logan and Kai...i really can't even try to express how their hugs, smiles, and giggles can change my moments of weakness.

Now that the grieving process is in FULL force, we have good days and bad days. We have happy times and sad times. BUT we could never be more thankful for our dear families and my friend Holly who literally answered my texts at all hours when I was feeling I couldn't go any lower. WE LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH! Heavenly Father heals all wounds, and I know he will. Thankfully I have a testimony that my Savior knows EXACTLY what I am going through, and he is by me always.

I hope the prayers can continue and the light can continue to slip into our lives.
Mother Teresa says it best, "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much." But because of his trust I KNOW we will make it through.

23 comments:

  1. Sorry for your loss. Our prayers are with you. Love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashleigh, I am so sorry for your loss and I am so sorry the kind of pain you are currently in and will continue to go through for some time. I am so proud of you and who you are and I know you are such a strong woman. I know your testimony will get you through this and I know that Heavenly Father is there for you, always! You have been in our prayers every night and you will continue to be in my thoughts. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your family's loss, Ashleigh. Please let me know if I can do anything for you. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are praying for you and your family ash.. I'm sorry that you are going through this, you are an amazing person and your optimism and strength is inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you and of course, you're in all of our prayers. Keep it up girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for what you and your sweet family are going through right now. Our prayers are with you. Just give Kai some extra hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know first hand the grief of losing an unborn child. It's ok to feel sad, but it does get better. Just remember that Heavenly Father has a plan for you and your sweet family and when the time is right, you will get to carry another sweet baby. My heart goes out to you and Logan. Oh and prayers too! Wish I could give you a BIG hug! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ash I am so sorry, your post made me cry :( Love you and you will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry, Ashleigh. Been there myself as well. I know even after it is all over there is still healing to be done and you will be in our prayers

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a challenge. Your experience is pretty much identical to one of my miscarriages, and I know it's not easy. For me I was reminded about the tremendous blessing an eternal family is. I was amazed that in such a tragic time I could feel so much love. You have great perspective, and Heavenly Father has a perfect plan for your family. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ashleigh, I am so sorry for the heartache and loss that you and your husband are going through. You are a brave, strong woman and a great example of having eternal perspective and faith in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ashleigh! I love you! Thats all I can say. I truly do! Prayers being sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanted to post something when I first read this but everyone already said it all so perfectly so....I just want you to know that I'm sending you lots of hugs and love!! Wish we were still there to give them to you in person :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That breaks my heart :( Just know that you have a sweet angel waiting for you! Thank you for being a beautiful example of a strong testimony. You two are wonderful!

    -Marie Campos

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Ash...I feel bad asking a question on this blog but I can't find you on facebook (Do you have facebook?). My question is.. When did Kai stop wanting to be bundled?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Ash.. I am so sorry for your loss. You are in our prayers. Please let me know if you need anything, even just to talk or cry. I feel for you and Logan. You will have that sweet baby in the next life. It will be waiting for you. Keep your chin up! You are an amazing person and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wish I could give you guys a big hug. I am crying for you for your loss. I'm so sorry, but I know the Lord's hand is in your life and is blessing you.
    Hope you had a wonderful Easter Sunday. Wishing you were here today!
    Love you!
    ~Lovell

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry you have to go through this. We experienced a miscarriage last January and it was a very difficult experience so I understand your feelings. It gets easier especially with the thought of families being sealed forever. This little one will be with you two again. What a wonderful thing to know and rely on. Please let me know if you need to talk at all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so sorry that you had to go through this. I know exactly how you feel as this happened to our family about 10 months ago. I was eleven weeks along and passed the baby at home. It was completely devastating and my prayers go out to you. Hang in there, I promise it will get better. I found that the more I talked about it the easier it was to come to terms with the whole situation. I also found that a lot of my family and friends had gone through the same thing and that miscarriage is more common than I thought. Please call or e-mail me if you need to talk about anything. Keep that gorgeous smile on your face! Love you Twin!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You guys are in our prayers. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ashleigh and Logan- I was so sad to hear the news of your miscarraige. I have never had one, but I know all too well the pain and struggle of not being able to have a child when you want one so desperatley. The most important thing i learned through all of our strugles of not getting pregnant and then the long processes we went through of adoption is that Heavenly Father has a plan for us. It's not always the plan we hoped and dreamed and are desperate for, but it is his plan and he knows what is best for us. I hope that gives you some comfort. You are in our thoughts and prayers!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am sooo sorry, Ashleigh. It's at times like this that I feel like maybe I am on the lucky end, just not being able to get pregnant. I can't imagine how much harder this is to deal with, but I know you are a strong woman with a great support system, and though there will be hard days, you will get by. I am sending healing thoughts your way...

    *

    ReplyDelete