My little boy is growing up right before my eyes.
It seems like we have a lot of hard days lately where I am trying my best to be the Mom I have always wanted to be.... and most day I feel like I am failing, making a new plan and starting over. I strive to be a little calmer, more understanding and a better communicator with Kai.
Today while we were outside Kai yelled, "Look Mom, my friends!" These kids were much older and were already in the middle of playing tag and we had never met them before. Kai didn't care. He ran right up laughed hysterically, ran from the "it" kid and just like that, they welcomed him in the game. He ran and played and looked so darn big it was ridiculous.
Kai was not worried about social cues. He didn't wonder if they would like him.
He knew who he was, and was proud of it.
While sitting and observing (and shutting my mouth) I realized that these stubborn, hard headed children are exactly what this world needs. They may be hard for their parents, but they will be excellent friends, missionaries and unwavering Saints. They know who they are...and are proud of it!
I think I found a new exercise in becoming the best "me" ...close my mouth, sit, observe...and repeat.
Love this. You are right, they will stomp out wicked
ReplyDeletesuch a good point--and just what I needed to hear! I remember when my mother-in-law told me, "It's not in your head. You DO have a wild child- more crazy than most. It will be harder some days, but he is qualifying you to take on hard things."
ReplyDeleteWe CAN do hard things. We can be moms to these crazy boys and it will be difficult a lot of the time but just as equally rewarding!
Emma has always been difficult for me, but oh man does she know who she is!!She is super strong in the Gospel (and now we just have to keep her that way)
ReplyDeleteYou're the BEST mom!! This post just proves it...you know when to sit back and just watch him be who he is, a pretty amazing little child of God :)
ReplyDeleteLoved this post! Made me tear up to think about him jumping in with the big kids! The excitement of being "part" of the game! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete