Friday, May 4, 2012

Avery's Birth Story

We are home and trying to get back in the swing of things, and I didn't want to forget all the little details of Avery's birth story.

So the day finally came and I really couldn't have been more nervous.  I called in to the hospital at 6:30 and was told to call back at 9:30...then at 9:30 they told me I could come in at 10:30.  THANKFULLY the time flew by as my Mom and I played with Kai and thought about the LONG day to come.

When I got in to the room we got all ready and my water was broken at 11:45 am.  They didn't start the pitocin right away because they wanted to see if my body would go into labor on its own...BUT they must not have known my body because nothing seemed to happen.  So at 12:30 the pitocin was finally started and it was pretty quickly after that I started to feel the contractions.  They started to get harder and harder and closer together (at this point I am starting to dream of my blessed epidural).

Around 2:30 I asked the nurse to check me so that I could see if it was time for the epidural because it DEFINITELY felt like it!  The nurse started to check me and her eyes got really large, but she wasn't saying anything. I finally asked her if everything was ok and unfortunately she still sat kind of quiet.  She finally looked up and said, "I don't know what I'm feeling.  It's not a head.  My hand is going into a hole."    The nurse left the room to get a Doctor, but told me I better get my epidural before the Dr came, because they wanted to prepare for anything.  The epidural was not as quick and easy as Kai's,  so we expect some pain and bruises to come, but thankfully it did the job.

The Dr then came in, checked me and immediately said, "Yep, not a head... thats a hand."  A HAND???  Yes, my dear sweet girl was trying to come out with her hand over her head.  I wasn't sure how serious it would be to push her out anyway until the Dr said that if I pushed her out like this, she would have permanent nerve damage and would be unable to use her hand.

For the next 2 1/2 hours the Dr would push Avery back up the birth canal, and pray that she would come back down the right way.  Unfortunately it wasn't initially working.  At this time I had nurses preparing me for a c-section with blood work, forms and name tags. Thankfully my Mom sent out mass texts to all of our family pleading for prayers.

At 5:00 the Dr came in to check one last time.  It was really the last chance and THANKFULLY our prayers were answered and Avery put her arm back into the right position.  I CRIED, but also worried that she would move again.  At this point I was dilated to a 7.

At 5:30 I began to feel pressure...lets be honest I was REALLY embarrassed because I thought I had to go to the "bathroom" so I didn't want Logan to get the nurse.  So I compromised and told him to tell the nurses to come in 5 minutes. HA HA I am sure they thought I was crazy!  After two minutes I decided Logan needed to get the nurse.  She came in to check me at 5:37 and I was fully dilated and ready to push.  She asked me to push a little and then quickly yelled for me to stop.

They called down for my Dr and told him to come fast.  By 5:45 the Dr was there and quickly getting dressed.  He smiled and said, "Lets have a baby!"  Two pushes later Avery Ann Tataipu was born @ 5:50.  We couldn't be more excited and feel more thankful for all of the prayers that came our way.






We are enjoying every moment of this new experience and are SOOO grateful for the help of my parents!!

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad everything worked out. It sounds like a crazy, scary day! You look amazing! Kai is so cute with her. Enjoy all of the pink, ruffles and girly things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome that things were able to work out. Glad you had a doctor willing to try something first before jumping on a C-section right away. She's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's beautiful Ash! Congratulations! I'm so glad that everything turned out right, and that she decided to keep her little hand down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is quite a story, and thankfully with a happy ending! Congratulations on your darling little girl. She is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is beautiful and looks just like her mommy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, oh my goodness. That is sure a birth story! Two pushes is impressive as well:)

    ReplyDelete